If you are looking for a quick, easy and healthier version of an appetizer to take to your next Summer barbeque then you’ve found it! The salsa has been a favorite of mine for years and the high protein “bread” can be cut up into slices to mimic chips, top with some of your favorite spices and you are good to go. Give it a try and let me know what you think!
High Protein “Bread”:
- Cooking Spray
- 3 large eggs
- 1 dash cream of tartar
- Dash of Himalayan sea salt
- 1/3 cup 2% pain Greek yogurt
- Pre heat oven to 300° F
- Coat a large baking sheet with spray and set aside.
- Separate egg yolks from whites, placing egg whites in one bowl and the yolks in another.
- Add cream of tartar to egg whites and beat with a mixer on high speed until stiff peaks form. This will take about 4 minutes.
- Add salt and yogurt to egg yolks, beak with a mixer on medium speed until blended.
- Fold 1/3 of the egg white mixture into the egg yolk mixture. Fold in remaining egg white mixture just until incorporated- carful, don’t overmix here!
- Spoon scoopfuls of the egg mixture onto prepared baking sheet and gently spread into thick pancake shapes (about 3 inches wide). Repeat until batter is gone.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown.
- Remove from pan immediately and allow to cool on a wire rack.
- 3 cups chopped tomatoes
- 1/3 cup chopped sweet onion
- 1 sliced green onion
- 4 minced garlic cloves
- 1 lime, juiced
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 seeded and chopped jalapeño, optional
- Cilantro, optional
- Combine chopped tomatoes, sweet onion, green onion and jalapeño in a medium bowl.
- Add minced garlic cloves, lime juice, salt and pepper to taste. Mix well.
- Top with cilantro.
- Cover and refrigerate 1 hour or overnight for more flavor.
The “bread” is also wonderful for sandwiches and toast! Experiment with it and add in your own herbs and spices or even a touch of honey for some sweetness. The salsa here is mild as I’m not much of a fan of spicy foods. If you want a spicier salsa simply add more chopped jalapeño! The longer the salsa sits the more flavorful it will be.